Ladakh BJP Veteran, 74, Pays Price After Son Elopes With Buddhist Woman

"I don't know why they blame me for the marriage of my son when our whole family was against it. I have tried to trace him. I visited Srinagar and several other places to find him," expelled Ladakh BJP leader Nazir Ahmad, 74, said


A BJP leader in Ladakh was expelled from the party after his son eloped with a Buddhist woman


Leh: Following his son's elopement and subsequent marriage to a Buddhist woman, the BJP in Ladakh fired a senior official.

After learning that his son allegedly eloped with a Buddhist woman more than a month ago, Nazir Ahmad, 74, the state vice president of the Ladakh BJP, was dismissed from the party's core membership.

The BJP's Ladakh branch said in a statement that action was taken against its senior leader after he was given the chance to "clarify about his involvement in the sensitive issue of his son's elopement with a Buddhist girl."

Following a party executive meeting on Wednesday, Ladakh BJP chief Phunchok Stanzin issued the expulsion order.

Elopement is "unacceptable to all religious communities in Ladakh as it jeopardizes communal harmony and unity among the people of the region," according to a statement from the BJP.




The pair wed more than a month ago, and ever since, they have vanished.

The expelled BJP politician claimed that his family had also opposed his son Manzoor Ahmad's engagement to the Buddhist woman and that he had been unaware of their whereabouts for the past month.

Veteran BJP supporter Mr. Ahmad claimed he was gone performing the Hajj in Saudi Arabia at the time his son and the girlfriend were legally wed.

"My son's wife is 35 years old, and he is 39 years old.Both of them, I think, got their nikahs back in 2011.They performed a judicial marriage last month when I was gone on the Haj pilgrimage, according to the expelled BJP leaders.

Before being kicked out of the party, Mr. Ahmad claimed he was advised to resign because he couldn't find his son.


"I don't understand why they hold me responsible for my son's marriage when our entire family opposed it. I've made an effort to find him. To find him, I traveled to Srinagar and other locations, Mr. Ahmad stated.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Russia Mutiny: What Is The Wagner Group And Why They Have Rebelled Against Russian Army | Explained

Russia's missile attack on Zelenskyy’s hometown kills one policeman, injures 52 others in central Ukraine

Denmark Giving F-16 Jets To Ukraine Leads To Conflict "Escalation": Russia